The UT Medical Center is impacting the lives of many by using the AHA’s premier hospital-based quality improvement program, Get With The Guidelines for the treatment of stroke patients. To qualify for the award, a hospital must adhere to all the specified standards at least 85 percent of the time for at least two consecutive years. The standards are those that have been proven to improve health after stroke.
- Recognition by the U.S. News and World Report as a high performing specialty
- Being the region’s first certified Stroke Center
- A 20-year commitment to stroke prevention and rehabilitation
- Achieving the American Heart Association’s “Stroke Gold Plus Performance Award”
- Serving as home to the region's top neurology specialists.
Neurology is the study of the brain and the central nervous system, including the brain; spinal cord; and nerves throughout the body that control internal organs, muscles and vision, hearing, taste and smell.
The department is staffed with world-class neurology specialists and sub-specialists that work closely with other sub-specialists in areas such as emergency medicine, cardiology, neurosurgery, pain management, and physical therapy to provide patients with multidisciplinary care unmatched in the area.
UTMC offers the area's first accredited primary stroke center, and was recognized for the 4th consecutive year to receive the Gold Sustained Performance Award for stroke care.