Privacy Information (HIPAA)
At UTMC, Your Privacy is our Priority In 1996, Congress passed legislation to ensure the security and privacy of protected health information. UTMC has always had a strong commitment to protecting individuals' health information and will continue this commitment by ensuring compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy standards. HIPAA is the first federal rule implemented to protect the privacy of patient health information and establish minimum national privacy standards for health-care providers, health plans, and health-care clearinghouses. The HIPAA Privacy Rule, effective April 14, 2003, grants health-care consumers several rights regarding their privacy and protected health information which are to be honored by the covered entity. Patient Rights UTMC has instituted documents, policies, and procedures that address these new rights including:
- Receiving UTMC's Written Notice of Privacy Practices, which details individual rights and outlines how health information is used for purpose of treatment, payment and operations. Notice of Privacy Practices and Acknowledgement
- Receive confidential communications of health information.
- Access, inspect, and copy protected health information Authorization for Release of Medical Information
- Request an amendment and/or correction to protected health information. Request for Corrections/Amendments
- Receive and accounting of disclosures of protected health information. Request for Accounting of Disclosures
- Request a restriction on Protected Health Information Request a Restriction
- File a complaint with UTMC Privacy Office at (419) 383-6933 and/or the Office of Civil Rights.
Complaint Process If at any time you feel as if your right to privacy has been violated, or you have
a concern regarding our privacy practices, you observe the right to file a complaint
with UTMC's Privacy Office. You may also file a complaint at the Office of Civil Rights.
At UTMC we take patient rights to privacy very seriously and strive for total compliance
with HIPAA standards. If a complaint is filed against UTMC for violation of privacy
or about our practices, UTMC will take no action against the plaintiff.
Personnel - Lynn Hutt, MBA-Privacy Officer 419.383.6933 firstname.lastname@example.org
Security Officer - Mike Lowry, CISM, CRISC 419.530.3995 email@example.com
HIPAA Resources - For Further Information regarding HIPAA, please visit this HIPAA- Office of Civil Rights .