da Vinci: Leading the Renaissance of Surgery
The University of Toledo Medical Center now offers the most advanced robotic-assisted surgery available in the area. The capabilities of da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical System have proven extremely beneficial. From better viewing to more precise incisions, patients can reap these benefits.
Robot-assisted surgery will never completely replace traditional methods of operations, but it is predicted that it will be considered a standard of care within the next five years. People around the world specifically request the da Vinci system if the option is available. The possibilities with this technology are literally endless. Watch a video about the daVinci® S HD Surgical System
Why use UT Medical Center’s da Vinci® S HD™ Surgical System?
UT Medical Center offers a highly skilled surgical team specially trained in using the latest da Vinci technology. In fact, UT Medical Center, surgeons must go through a special credentialing process confirming specialized training in the use of the da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical System.
Wh ile other hospitals in the area are using a da Vinci system in surgeries, the da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical System offers additional unique benefits:
- The da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical System uses a camera to help the surgeon guide instruments through the tiny incisions made. The camera on this new system emits a high-definition picture. This increased clarity allows the surgeon to see more detail than ever before.
- The da Vinci ® S HD™ Surgical System has one more “arm” than older equipment, providing the surgeon with even more ability to hold a structure in place or to utilize one more instrument, further increasing efficiency and accuracy. In addition, the arms themselves have been upgraded to make even more precise movements.
Benefits of da Vinci ® S HD ™ Surgical System
- Shorter Hospital Stay - the average hospital stay is right around 24 hours compared to 48 hours or longer with open surgery.
- Less blood loss and transfusions - the average estimated blood loss per patient averages 116 cc.
- Less pain and scarring - since the incision is not one large cut, the surgery is less painful than traditional open surgery, and the five small incisions are less visible and result in less scarring.
- Faster Recovery - small incisions heal more quickly than the open incisions of a traditional prostatectomy.
- These benefits allow patients to return to normal, everyday activities much faster.
*Results are not guaranteed as surgery is both patient and procedure specific.